Learning is not compulsory . . . neither is survival.
—W. Edwards Deming
We now accept the fact that learning is a lifelong process of keeping abreast of change. And the most pressing task is to teach people how to learn.
Note: This article is part of Extended SAFe Guidance and represents official SAFe content that cannot be accessed directly from the Big Picture.
Our training strongly encourages every Lean-Agile leader to rededicate themselves to lifelong learning. After all, in a sea of constant technological and business change, is there any other choice? To this end, we maintain an active list of our ‘Top 10’ (more or less) recommended books that provide a foundational understanding of the ‘principles behind the principles’ in SAFe.
We also maintain a collection of great secondary resources. These ‘staff favorites’ have significantly influenced our thinking in various areas of the Framework. These lists change over time as new works become available, but here are our current favorites.
- Accelerate: Building Strategic Agility for a Faster-Moving World, Kotter
- Agile Software Requirements, Leffingwell
- Extreme Ownership Babin and Willink
- Lean Product and Process Development, Ward, Sobeck II
- Out of the Crisis, Deming
- Project to Product: How to Survive and Thrive in the Age of Digital Disruption with the Flow Framework, Kersten
- SAFe Distilled 5.0: Achieving Business Agility with the Scaled Agile Framework Knaster, Leffingwell
- The DevOps Handbook: How to Create World-Class Agility, Reliability, and Security in Technology Organizations, Kim, Debois, Willis, Humble
- The Lean Startup: How Today’s Entrepreneurs Use Continuous Innovation to Create Radically Successful Businesses, Ries
- The Principles of Product Development Flow, Reinertsen
- Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders, Marquet
Other Great Resources
- Inside the Tornado: Marketing Strategies from Silicon Valley’s Cutting Edge, Moore
- Leading Change, Kotter
- Switch: How to Change Things When Change is Hard, Heath, Heath
- Team Topologies: Organizing Business and Technology Teams for Fast Flow, Skelton, Pais
- The Art of Avoiding a Train Wreck: Practical Tips and Tricks for Launching and Operating SAFe Agile, Campbell-Pretty, Wilson
- The Design Thinking Playbook: Mindful Digital Transformation of Teams, Products, Services, Businesses and Ecosystems, Lewrick, Link, Leifer
- The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of the Learning Organization, Senge
- The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement, Goldratt
- The Lean Machine: How Harley-Davidson Drove Top-Line Growth and Profitability with Revolutionary Lean Product Development, Oosterwal
- The Unicorn Project: A Novel about Developers, Digital Disruption, and Thriving in the Age of Data, Kim, Corzo, et al.
- Value Stream Mapping: How to Visualize Work and Align Leadership for Organizational Transformation, Martin, Osterling
Note: The above links are for your convenience only. We encourage you to shop around for the best value.
Last Updated: 9 March 2023